If your senior loved one feels lonely and isolated, you need to provide elderly loneliness solutions to keep them going. Most older adults find themselves alone due to physical distances from their family and friends or the death of a spouse or close relative. As a result, it may compromise their health and even lead to depression and heart diseases.
According to the National Institute on Aging, one in four seniors age 65 and older are socially isolated. Unfortunately, seniors who feel lonely are more vulnerable to health risks, such as reduced cognitive ability and mental health. The good news is that there are many elderly solutions to improve your senior’s health.If your senior loved one feels lonely and isolated, you need to provide elderly loneliness solutions to help enhance their life. #unlimitedcarecottage #loneliness #seniors Click To Tweet
Now, let’s look at the effects of loneliness on seniors and how to keep them active.
Feelings of Loneliness Increases the Risk of Health Conditions
Loneliness or social isolation poses significant health risks to older adults. Studies show that the blood pressure of seniors with healthy relationships tends to respond better to stress. In addition, healthy social networks tend to boost the immune system’s ability to prevent infections. It means lonely people are more vulnerable to stress and diseases.
Social Activities That Improve Mental Health
Socially isolated seniors can stay active by participating in activities that keep them connected to others. For that reason, you should help the seniors:
- Adopt their favorite pets for comfort
- Interact with people that share similar interests
- Stay in touch with all their friends and family members
- Join a senior fitness class, walking club, or exercise with friends
- Engage in community-based groups, such as faith-based organizations
- Nurture existing relationships, for example, by having coffee with neighbors
Benefits of Staying Active and Socially Connected
Social connection and interactions among seniors come with many benefits, including:
- It offers a sense of belonging
- Improves eating and sleeping habits
- Increases the seniors’ lifespan, making them live longer
- Improves the senior’s mental health, therefore, reducing stress and depression
- Enhances physical health, especially when the seniors do physical exercises
Staying Connected With Unlimited Care Cottages
With these elderly loneliness solutions, you can keep your senior loved ones active and healthy. You always have to be around your older adults to ensure they don’t get lonely. If you don’t have that time, consider moving them to an assisted living facility that offers multiple elderly loneliness solutions, like Unlimited Care Cottages.
Contact us to get immediate help on how to keep your seniors active and healthy.