The thought of moving into a completely new environment, from independent life to assisted living, may make you feel uneasy. No need to get out of sorts. Planning for assisted living can make the transition much easier on moving day.
How and When to Start Planning for Assisted Living
You should start planning your move as soon as you’ve made the decision to one day make an assisted living facility your new home. This gives you the opportunity to progress in your own time and have an adjustment period that you can set for yourself. Here are some things to think about as you plan.
- What items will you take to your new home? Choices have to be made that can be tough to make so begin thinking about this as soon as possible.
- Arrange for help moving. Most facilities have staff members who can assist you in your move if your friends and family are not available.
- What are you looking forward to? In addition to the list of things you are planning to take with you, don’t forget to make lists of the things you are looking forward to about your new home and things you plan to do when you get there.
- Make multiple trips to your new home before you move. Visit with the staff and your new neighbors. Familiarizing yourself with the facility ahead of time will help decrease moving day anxiety and increase your comfort level.
What to Bring
While everything worked perfectly in your home, you don’t know how everything will fit in your new location. When you are deciding what items to bring with you, think about these things:
- How much furniture can you bring with you? If you are moving to a furnished location, it is recommended that you leave your current furniture behind. If not, plan to bring the furniture that will make you most comfortable and will fit nicely in your new home.
- What keepsakes will you bring along? Most residents of assisted living facilities suggest that you bring small items that are special to you to decorate and create that “home-sweet-home” feeling.
- Do you really need all of your clothes? Before moving in sort through your clothes to determine exactly what you need and don’t clutter up your new living quarters with unnecessary stuff.
- Did you pack supplies for your favorite activities? If there are things that you do every day like reading, sewing, quilting, etc., make sure to bring your supplies with you to keep yourself busy and to stick to a routine.
Remember, moving can be hard. It’s okay to take some time to settle into your new living situation. Don’t put any more pressure on yourself than necessary. Let your friends and family help you where you can.
If you are planning ahead, be sure to adequately research assisted living facilities to make sure your future new home will be the best fit for you and your needs.
When you arrive at your new home, be sure to participate in activities and meet new friends at the facility and share your experiences. Before too long, you’ll be thriving in your new surroundings.
Come For a Tour
Whether you are planning ahead or you or your loved one are ready to make the move in the immediate future, the best way to know which assisted living home will be the best fit is to schedule a tour. At Unlimited Care Cottages, we want you to be able to make the most informed decision and are here to answer any questions you may have. Contact us for more information on how to plan for assisted living and schedule a tour of our personal care cottages.